Working Ergonomically

Ergonomics



Source
A space cannot truly be a functional space unless it is ergonomically functional. Ergonomics is the study of people's proficiency in a working environment. If a space cannot be used efficiently for the task or function that it was meant to, then it is not really worth using. I have encountered several spaces in my lifetime that have not been functional or have been perfectly functional when it comes to ergonomics. The first that comes to mind is the kitchen hat I had in the house that I grew up in. The second was the kitchen that was in the house that my family moved to after moving out of the house that I grew up in. Lastly, the basement of the house was also a good example of a space where ergonomics could be studied.

A Functional Space 

Photo Taken By Me
The kitchen in the house that I grew up in was the perfect size. It seemed that everything was the perfect distance from the other. Watching and helping my mother in the kitchen seemed to be so easy and functional. The range was at the far end and had plenty of room to function while using it, unlike other kitchens that I've seen where it seems claustrophobic. The sink was on the set of counters perpendicular to the range. It was probably the biggest sink that I can remember in a house that my family has lived in. Washing dished in that sink and then loading them into the dishwasher that was next to it was so functional and easy that it seemed to be less of a task than it is now. The kitchen had plenty of storage and it was set up nicely enough that it seemed almost effortless to get things done in that kitchen. 

A Not So Functional Space

In the next house that we moved  to, the kitchen was beautifully designed when it came to aesthetic. But, the kitchen was awful when it came to functionality. It was so small and an odd inverted "L" shape that made it uncomfortable to maneuver comfortably. The sink was basically crammed in the corner next to the range; it was so uncomfortable to stand the in the claustrophobic corner and try to attempt to do dishes. Trying to get into the fridge was even worse. It was across from a pantry closet, so when one of the two was open and being used, the other was nearly inaccessible, and it was impossible to pass through to the kitchen when one was being used. 

Another Functional Space

Sketch By Me
In that same house, there was a decently sized basement that I called my bedroom. The space was so large compared to other bedrooms that I have had that it seemed impossible for it to not be functional. I had plenty of space surrounding my furniture that it was so easy to get around and get things done. The room used to be a little home theater, so it was set up in a way that I could have my television and computer in a certain place and they fit perfectly. I never felt like I didn't have room to do something or that something could not get done because the space wasn't functional.

Conclusion

A space that is designed with ergonomics in mind can determine the functionality and amount of use of that space. When a space just doesn't work it just doesn't work, and it makes it to where it is used less often than it should be. Having functional spaces in a home is very important because those spaces are going to be where a lot of its inhabitants spend their time.

(n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.navfac.navy.mil/products_and_services/sf/products_and_services/ergonomics/tools_guides.html

Nussbaumer, L. L. (2018). Human factors in the built environment. New York, NY: Fairchild Books, An imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing.

Comments

Popular Posts